Friday, October 21, 2005

' 73, a great year for films (The Wicker Man, Live and Let Die, Black Caesar, Coffy, Day of the Jackal, Dracula, Enter the Dragon, The Exorcist, etc.

Oldboy! Haven't seen it yet, but I've been trying to think of the name of it for ages... I do so love a bit of Korean darkness. Speaking of which, do you remember our first guest speaker in this Experience, Anjin? Well, I had a rather strange dream about her last week... she was in the hospital from The Godfather, and she told me that her father had forbidden her to eat pink cake, but she went ahead and ate it, and now required extensive stomach surgery... she had a merry chuckle when I told her.

Anyway, to bring things temporarily back to Bond films, what do you think of On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Licence to Kill? For me, the former is one of the very best, and Lazenby is seriously underrated. Savalas' Blofeld is nails, once you get past the fact that he is Luke Abbott in the future, and he gets stuck in with the rough stuff when needs be. Plus he hypnotises beautiful girls from across the world and plans to use them to spread deadly epidemics. Diana Rigg is great as Tracy - when she is in the back of the car with Bond, wearing a very late 60s hat and mini skirt suit, she is perhaps the cheekiest and cutest thing I have ever seen. The great strength of the film is the ending. Poignant, powerful, un-Bond in a brave and refreshing way. I have a theory that if Lazenby and Savalas had gone on to do Diamonds are Forever, it would have been infinitely better.

As for Licence to Kill, I think it's superb on paper, and there are some interesting moments, but generally it's one of the worst films. I have no problem with Dalton, as I've come to appreciate his protrayal of Bond, but the editing and format of Licence to Kill is poor. One good thing about it is Q - this film is his Hamlet.. he appears as a chauffer, a boat captain, and my favourite, a Mexican farmer with a huge bandito moustache. Like Octopussy, Q is actively involved in the mission, it's just a shame that they didn't give him a better one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home